The Church of San Juan Bautista was built in the 15th century on the most eminent site in the municipality.
Clearly Mudejar in style, although with elements of Gothic and Renaissance art, it stands on the site of an old mosque that was destroyed by an earthquake in the 14th century and has a fortified structure. In its architectural aspect, it does not seem to have undergone any significant changes, although the tower was restored, with three new bells added at the beginning of the 20th century, as well as the laying of cement flooring and the tiling of the church.
We highlight three relevant construction stages of the church, its façade which determined its physiognomy around the year 1400 and its main chapel; during the second half of the 16th century nave and doorway, and another in the middle of the 17th century where the side chapels were added.
The fountain – trough, located in Román García street, is an excellent example of popular rural Andalusian architecture.
The Bullring is one of the oldest in Andalusia. It dates back to the 19th century, although in the 21st century, the bullring’s alleyway and the burladeros were renovated.
The castle was an ancient fortress built in the late Middle Ages, conceived as a watchtower at a time of reconquest and its “guards” in the border area seem to be at the origin of its…